During a Sunday Hierarchical Divine Liturgy at Christ the Savior Orthodox Church (Manhattan) on 12 August, Bishop Michael ordained Diocesan Diaconal Formation Program graduate David Chow to the Holy Diaconate. Deacon David was a member of the program’s inaugural class at the Endicott NY Campus; on 26 May 2012, he and eight of his fellow classmates graduated and received a Certificate in Diaconal Formation. New students will join second-year classmates in the two-year/4 semester course of intense study later this month. Those interested in the program should contact their parish rector for details.
Christ the Savior Orthodox Church at 340 East 71st Street, New York NY was originally founded in 1924. In 1970 the parish moved to its current location on the Upper East Side. Under the leadership of Father John Meyendorff from 1977-1984, an English-speaking mission developed in the parish. The Russian congregation also began to grow and rejuvenate with the influx of new immigrants from the former Soviet Union. Beginning in 1978, Father Michael Aksionov Meerson, himself an immigrant from the former Soviet Union, also ministered in the parish. A graduate of Saint Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary (Yonkers NY), Father Michael was appointed parish rector in 1984.
“Axios!” and “Many Years!” to newly ordained Deacon David Chow.