Deacon Anthony Stokes, choir director, teacher, and chair of the Diocese of the South Liturgical Music Committee, will lead three webinars on the services of the All-Night Vigil (Vespers and Matins), focusing on the liturgical and musical aspects for choir directors, singers, and readers. Each session will cover a different topic as outlined below:
1) Saturday, February 12, 2022 at 1:00 pm ET – All-Night Vigil: Basic Liturgics (Calendars; Ranks of Feasts; Liturgical Books; Intro to Rubrics; Daily Cycle; All-Night Vigil Introduction)
2) Sunday, February 20, 2022 at 7:00 pm ET – All-Night Vigil: Vespers (Daily and Great Vespers; Vespers as part of Vigil; Lenten Vespers)
3) Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 1:00 pm ET – All-Night Vigil: Matins (Daily Matins Variations; Festal Matins; Matins as part of Vigil, Lenten Matins)
Each 2-hour webinar will include:
- a discussion of the order of the services, with references to rubrics on the OCA site when available
- where to find necessary texts (OCA site, liturgical books, other sites);
- example service rubrics
- practical musical notes for directors
- explanation of Liturgical actions and how to approach the music with theological and liturgical appropriateness
- discussion of variations in parish practice
- and a question-and-answer period.
Sessions will use the Zoom video conference platform and will be recorded for future viewing. The sessions are free of charge, but pre-registration is required separately for each session. To pre-register, simply click on the link of the presentation(s) you wish to attend. Attendance is limited to 100 participants. Questions regarding the seminar may be sent to Deacon Anthony Stokes at email@example.com.
You can support the ongoing projects of the Departments of the OCA by considering a gift to the Stewards of the OCA. Your financial support is crucial to the success of these endeavors! For questions about the work of the Departments, contact Father Thomas Soroka at firstname.lastname@example.org.